Clarence and Elsie Crume started Crume's Monuments in 1951. The business stayed small and Clarence sold to family, friends and local families. All the monuments were ordered finished and Clarence would install in the nearby cemeteries. Their son Phillip Crume lived in Louisville and would come down and help with installations. Later Phillip started selling a few monuments in the Louisville area and started to learn cemetery lettering. Phillip moved back to Caneyville in 1977 and became more active in the business. In 1980 Clarence passed away suddenly and Phillip had to take over the business. In 1981 our first shop was opened and we started carving and lettering our own monuments. By having the shop we could control the quality and improve production. In 1982 Phillip's son Mike started working in the shop and helping with installations. In 1986 Phillip's youngest son Mark joined the business in sales.